Lies. You are surrounded by lies. And the lies you are hearing originate from the culture all around you. I’m not going to list all of these lies. But I want to expose the most shocking lie aimed at those who are getting older.
Here’s the shocking lie: Your influence is dimming and will keep dimming until you no longer matter.
The lie begins with the cultural view of retirement. Don’t forget that the word retirement means to “withdraw.” Do you get it? Culture’s plan for those nearing retirement is to have them withdraw from the front lines of making a difference. The sweetly whispered lie woos those who are getting older to pull back and become focused on self.
If you give into this lie, your life shrinks. You become a tiny, miserable, candle in the wind with an increasingly dimming flame. It’s a sad picture:
- Withdraw from work.
- Focus on yourself.
- Believe that YOU are what matters most.
- Your circle of friends diminishes.
- You stay in the house more and more.
- And, if you are lucky, the nursing home will let you bring a couple of pieces of furniture to your 30’ x 50’ solitary room.
I may be exaggerating but I don’t think so. This is a likely forecast for those who believe the lie that says you are on a path where the destination is meaningless obscurity.
Don’t believe the lie.
Here’s what to believe instead: Getting older sets the stage for your influence to shine more brightly than ever. These can be the best days of your life.
How do you avoid living out the lie? Determine to make a difference in your world until the day you die. Why not? Those who are getting older are more uniquely qualified than ever to change your world.
Here’s a quick list of reasons why this is true:
- As a graduate in the infamous School of Hard Knocks you have learned many lessons to pass onto to others.
- As you near retirement you are more connected than ever to people who respect you and need your help.
- You have gained skills to share which younger people have not yet fully developed.
- At this stage in the journey you understand which needs are important enough to invest your life.
So what are you going to do? Are you going to believe the lie and fade away into obscurity? Or are you going to work harder than ever to make a difference in your world?
I’m going to tell you a secret. Writing and posting two articles a week on this blog is difficult. But soon I will reach the two year mark. Why do I keep writing? It isn’t because I think I’m some sort of super guru who is wiser than everyone else. It’s because I refuse to believe the lie and I’m determined to make a difference in the life of someone.
Decide not to believe the lie of diminished influence. Determine to rise up and make a difference in your world and the lives of others.
Getting older is your time to shine.
Making a difference in your world is what the ReFIRE process is all about!
How will you make a difference in YOUR world?