There’s something odd happening inside me and many other Boomers. We won’t talk about it but it’s true. It’s starting to dawn on us we are over the hill and time is running out. If we are going to do “it” we better make our move now.
We’ve spent our entire lives getting educated, raising a family, and working hard. Dreams were put on hold. Passion was diverted to lucrative employment instead of meaningful employment. We sacrificed. Time flew by. And now members of the sixty crowd are waking up and realizing if you are going to do something you better get at it. Someday needs to be today.
When your head is much lighter
Some day, yeah
We’ll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun
When the world is much brighter
Some day, yeah
We’ll get it together and we’ll get it all done
(The Five Stairsteps)
I filled out a survey yesterday. One of the pieces of information requested dealt with my age. I gulped as I checked the box marked “61–70.” Really? Time is running out.
I’m convinced it is this realization driving Boomers to make shocking, off the grid decisions.
- Bruce Jenner, once dubbed the greatest athlete in the world after winning the olympic decathlon, announces he’s really a woman trapped in a man’s body.
- Barry Manilow, after keeping his homosexuality a secret for decades, married his male business manager.
- The guy down the street, married for 40 years, runs off with a young girl at the office.
- The guy you went to college with sells everything and moves to Central America.
Why are these people leaping off the deep end and making decisions which seem out of character? I think it’s because they all know time is running out. Boomers are facing a choice challenge.
But there is some spectacular good news for you and me. We can use this feeling of urgency and channel it to enhance life. Embrace the reality of the clock running down. But use this knowledge to fuel your mind, heart, and hands to start making your old dreams a present reality. Don’t fall off the deep end. Instead, climb to new heights.
- NOW is the time to take your dream vacation with your entire family.
- NOW is the time to finish your degree.
- NOW is the time to start a new ministry to reach “those” people.
- NOW is the time to spend one year teaching in another country.
- NOW is the time to bike across America.
- NOW is the time to get your book written.
- NOW is the time to start your new business.
With each passing year the clock winds down. But this is not the time to panic and do something foolish. This is the time to pluck your dreams from the sky and turn them into reality. It’s now or never.